FAO Report on Food Waste

FAO released the report: Food Wastage Footprint: Impacts on Natural Resources during a press conference held in Rome on September 11th.

This is the first report that analyzes the impacts of global food waste from an environmental perspective.

According to the study, 54% of the world's food wastage occurs "upstream" during production, post-harvest handling, storage– mostly in developing countries. The other 46% happens "downstream" at the processing, distribution and consumption stages. At this phase, developed countries play the main role.

The global food chain presents serious critical points that affect global starvation, pollution, and the availability of natural resources.

How can we prevent this shameful loss of food and energy?  Have a look at the Food Wastage Tool-Kit for tips on reducing food wastage and raising awareness of this problem.

Advertisements

About lubreference

This blog is maintained by reference librarians of the David Lubin Memorial Library, Food and Agriculture Organization of the UN. Entries in this blog are for discussion purposes only. They express the views of their author(s) and not necessarily that of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. The designations employed in this blog do not imply the expression of any opinion whatsoever on the part of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations concerning the legal status of any country, territory, city or area or of its authorities, or concerning the delimitation of its frontiers or boundaries. Links to other web sites are provided for the user's convenience and do not constitute endorsement of material at those sites, or any associated organisation, product or service.
This entry was posted in Have you seen?. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s